I was at work, on my break, when I received a text from our friend Stew. No words…just a pic of his lunch. I responded with “mmmmm…looks yummy, what is in the salad?” He replied…”bacon, garlic, tomato, red onion, olive oil, balsamic and salt/pepper. So good!” I continued on the conversation, by declaring, “oh my! you are making me hungry!” Then the bell rang. Break time was over. The afternoon continued on…In the meantime, I honestly couldn’t get the image of this dish out of my head. What a fab combo of ingredients, I thought. In there, were 3 of my top 10, all-time fav foods…bacon, avocado and roasted garlic. Triple love…hence the name. End of the day came, and I text-ed back once again…”I am fully making a version of your salad tonight!”
Btw…I love it when my friends send me pics of their paleo(ish) meals. Kinda nerdy you might say…I say nothing short of wicked! I get so happy when I see people enjoyin’ and lovin’ amazing food!!! Sooooo…on my way home from work, I decided to make a pit stop at the market near our house to pick up a few of the ingredients I didn’t already have in the kitchen. I was good to go with most of it…which was a bonus! I stuck to to most of his recipe, but decided to switch it up a tiny bit, based on things that I needed to use up…plus some leftovers aka…shredded chicken from the night before. Fully inspired by Stew’s salad, while adding a few things and subtracting a couple…this is the concoction that I came up with.
- shredded chicken (leftover from whole cajun chicken the night before. Also see, dutch oven chicken)
- bacon - cooked and torn into bits (use as much as you desire here)
- 2 avocado - diced (chunky)
- ½ red onion - thinly chopped
- tomato medley - quartered (one container contains various types)
- roasted garlic cloves - I did these on the same pan as the bacon!
- olive oil
- 1 lemon and 1 lime - freshly squeezed juice
- sea salt and ground pepper
- fresh cilantro - chopped
- arrange slices of bacon on a tin foil-covered baking sheet and cook for 25-30 mins at 375 heat – keep an eye on it, as thickness of the bacon can vary cooking time
- when cooked, set aside to cool
- in the meantime, quarter the tomatoes, thinly chop the red onion, and peel and dice the avocado
- put all of these ingredients into a large salad bowl
- next, tear up the bacon slices into and shred the chicken into pieces
- then, add the protein into the mix
- drizzle with lots of olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice
- sprinkle with sea salt and group pepper
- garnish with freshly chopped cilantro
- use tongs to mix thoroughly
- plate and enjoy!
- I omitted using balsamic vinegar, because I left it at work! Lol!!!
- Instead, I added in freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice (wanted to use them up!)
- Also, added in some chicken, because I had made a whole chicken the night before.
- Finally, I added in some fresh cilantro, just because I LOVE it so much! (I know Stew definitely
- wouldn’t as he is NOT a cilantro fan!!!)
I totally encourage you to try this one! It is so fresh, easy and a solid addition to our weekly repetoire… that is forsure!!! Devour with love…