I need to preface by saying this is one yummy little number. I decided to combine one of my all-time favs (beets), with something I have never EVER tried before (brussel sprouts). This Saturday morn, we took another visit to the Evergreen Brickworks Farmer’s Market. Something that has become an awaited weekend adventure. I love the atmosphere. I love the people. I love chattin’. Week after week, the icing on the gluten-free cake is when the vendors and farmers start to recognize your face and call you by name. Really cool!
Amongst our market haul, were amazing organic heirloom beets, brussel sprouts and fresh perch. To put this dish over the edge, I thought it would be ideal to cook up some bacon in the oven first and then roast the beets, garlic and brussel sprouts in the fat afterwards. Two words. Fantastic decision. It was so flavourful and delicious. After slowly roasted in a big pan in the oven, everything caramelized together, to make one huge mound of goodness. Add in your toasted pistachios and crumbled bacon…and you are good to go!
- ¾ to 1 lb bacon (good quality - check ingredients!)
- 6 large beets, cubed into small pieces
- About 24 Brussels sprouts, cleaned thoroughly (these guys can be dirty!)
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, quartered
- 1 to 2 tbsp (4-8g) dried thyme
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup (62 g) pistachios, once toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 F (176 C)
- Arrange slices of bacon on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil/parchment and bake for about 20 minutes in the oven until crispy.
- When done, remove with tongs and set aside on a plate to cool. Reserve the bacon fat for cooking the vegetables.
- In a large roasting pan, add in the beets, Brussels sprouts and garlic.
- Drizzle with the leftover bacon fat. Sprinkle with dried thyme, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly using the tongs.
- Roast in the oven on the middle rack for about 45 minutes until everything has caramelized slightly.
- In the meantime, toast pistachios in a small pan over medium heat on the stovetop.
- Transfer contents of the roasting pan to a large bowl and top with pistachios and crumbled bacon.
- Use tongs again to toss it all together.