Whipping up your own dressing isn’t arduous. Play with oils, spices, herbs and the fruit juices. To make it creamier add eggs, coconut milk, mustard or avocado.
Rewind back quite some time now to a wonderful evening when family friends of ours had us all over to their house for dinner. We found out when we got there, that they thoughtfully prepared a “Paleo themed” meal. They knew that my husband and I eat this way, so they took the time to read up on it, go out and buy “special” ingredients and from there created an amazing dins that was Paleo-friendly. I have to say we were extremely touched and appreciative…what a nice gesture! The dining room table was even decorated with “caveman” accessories…haha! It was adorable!!! Regretfully, I didn’t bring along my camera….arghhhhh. Shocking, I know! Regardless, the whole experience was very memorable.
I have yet to get the recipes from that evening, but I will look into this. Inspired by the salad that she made, I decided to go ahead and to try to create something similar. Without really thinking too much about it, I just tossed various veggies/fruit together and made a homemade dressing to compliment them. It turned out to be one of those add and taste as you go kinda deals…and the end result was DELICIOUS!!! The leftovers for my lunch the next day were even better, after being “marinated” in all the juices overnight. At first glance, you may think the flavours wouldn’t go together, but trust me they are great. To sum it up in one word— FRESH!!!
|mango and cucumber salad||
- SALAD MIX
- 4 small yellow mango- finely diced (small cubes)
- 1/2 container spring mix- I used baby romaine leaves
- 1/3 red onion- finely diced
- 4 mini cucumbers- shaved with veggie peeler (I love them like that for some reason)
- 1/4-1/2 container alfalfa sprouts
- sesame seeds to top
- ground pepper to taste
- DRESSING (measurements may vary according to taste preference)
- 2 limes- juice squeezed
- 1 navel orange- juice squeezed
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp grainy mustard, maple syrup or a couple spoonfuls of mashed up ripe avocado (optional)- helps to offset the tartness of the lime juice
- sea salt and ground
- start by finely chopping the mango and red onion into a seal-able container
- add in some spring mix, shaved cucumbers and alfalfa sprouts
- in the meantime combine dressing ingredients and whisk thoroughly
- pour dressing over salad in container- do this in stages as you don’t want too much
- then put the lid on and shake!
- on a serving plate, make a “bowl” out of lettuce leaves
- pour mango salad on top
- then, top with sesame seeds and serve
• you may also want to add grilled salmon or tuna to this dish…I bet it would be amazing!