Nothing says summer like fresh berries. Very berry parfait, a.k.a. berries smothered in coconut butter! So scrumptious…the raspberries are by far my fav. This is a super simple treat. Easy, ready in a flash and serves well as a yummy addition to any family bbq, potluck party or picnic on the beach.
Most people love having somethin’ a little sweet after eating their dins. Can be oh so delightful! I myself have never been much of a “sweet tooth girl” as you know, whereas salty goods were more my vice. However, if that sweet craving comes a calling, there are many ways to feel satisfied, without having to dive into baked goods that are ladened with processed sugar and gluten. Works well for me, as I am not much of a baker either. Very berry parfait is a perfect alternative.
I think fruit salad or mixed berries are often overlooked because of their simplicity. I love the bright colours and the intense flavours. That is one of the reasons I decided to include this as one of my posts. The beauty of this option is that you can tailor it to your preference based on your tastes and also what is in season at the time. This dish is also super versatile – it can be enjoyed as a snack, dessert or as a side for breakfast in the morning. If you have children…they will love ‘building” their own”too! You could get totally creative and turn it into a fun little sundae kinda station/bar. Put all kinds of different toppings into little dishes…and let them go wild!
What are ya waiting for? Grab a massive bowl/platter, tons of fresh berries (or other fruit), a colander, cutting board and knife (if needed) – and you are good to go! As an added bonus- try topping with warm-melted coconut or cashew butter for some extra flavour. You could experiment here with any type of nut butter really. YUM! In the past, I have made a similar version and topped it with roasted walnuts for that extra crunch. I am also a huge fan of garnishing with some freshly chopped mint, dark chocolate shavings and shredded coconut as well. You can even squeeze a little lemon or lime juice on the berries if you wish. Play around and make some magic happen in the kitchen!
|very berry parfait|
- various fresh berries or other fruit of choice (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and blackberries)
- coconut butter – melted
- chopped nuts and/or other desired toppings (optional)
- freshly chopped mint – to garnish (optional)
- wash berries thoroughly in a colander
- mix together is a large bowl or place on a platter
- scoop out individual serving into a “parfait” type glass (extra fun and fancy!)
- drizzle with warm coconut butter
- top with chopped nuts and/or fresh mint
• to melt the coconut butter place the glass jar in a saucepan filled 3/4 full with water
• heat on stove-top on medium heat, stirring thoroughly until it turns into a thick liquid