Happy Dec 1st everyone! Can you believe it??? Maybe I am the only one, but I am excited for the snow. We got a wee glimpse of it yesterday…fingers crossed for a ‘white Christmas.’ Anyhoo…
This blog post features the wise words from my good friend and gym owner, Tyler Touchette of Caveman Strong. Sit back, relax and enjoy…and he tells it like it is. Something we all need to hear every now and again. Also, I encourage you to swing on over to Caveman Strong, to check out some of the wicked things that they have going on over in their neck of the woods. Thanks again Tyler for sharing your thoughts and opinions in such a candid manner. You really do have a way of expressing yourself, so that your words ring true…
“Tyler, I need to freeze my membership. The Christmas season is too much for me to handle.”
“Tyler, I’m strapped for cash due to Christmas, I need to not workout for a month”.
“Tyler, I know you say ‘easy on the cardio’, but I just can’t seem to get results. Don’t I need to work harder?”
“Tyler, I miss the old crazy CrossFit workouts! I feel like I need more of that?!”
Ok… In my opinion this is always the same exact situation. It’s a matter of priorities. It’s a matter of choices. It’s a matter of self-love and self-happiness.
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO TODAY TO BE HAPPY TODAY??
It amazes me when people can’t seem to figure out what they need to simply feel better. To feel more energy and to walk with your chin just a little bit higher than the day before. I feel we as a community not only encompass that, but we also teach it very well. Better than any club I’ve seen.. anywhere. (Not arrogance, just my observation)
How can 4 hours a week be impossible? How can mom/dad not be granted 4 hours a week, so that they can feel better and thus be happier. Being happier as a person immediately makes you a better mother, employee, friend, etc… Being happier is your right! You work hard – You take care of the kids – You take care of your spouse – You handle what you handle at work. Why is there nothing left over for YOU??!!
In this society it seems we are all in mad rush. What is it we are rushing for?? I think the only guarantee in life is DEATH – so if you’re in a rush for that…GO AHEAD. Just don’t drag me down with you? LOL.
So, how can working out and eating properly make you better? Why do you show up here? Why do you workout? Why do you ‘TRY’ over and over to get your diet on track?
WHY WHY WHY?????
Because you want to be HAPPY. That’s why. And guess what.. It’s a DAM good reason.
When anyone comes to me with these types of issues (top of page) it’s always the same. Before they even say it – I know what the problem is.. YOUR PRIORITIES ARE NOT IN CHECK, YOU HAVE NO GAME PLAN, NO GOALS. No matter how good our service/coaching is, at the end of the day YOU have to help YOU or else this ship does not sail..
Back to lifestyle…
Paleo is NOT a diet.
Going to the gym is not a hassle.
Sleeping better is a must.
These issues are what we all work on in order to be healthier and happier. We do not advocate quick fixes. We ask you to figure out (with our help) what is lacking most in your life? What do you need to make more time for – asap? WHAT IS YOUR PRIORITY? Do you have any clue at all? If not, I’m afraid you WILL be another ‘comer and goer’ in our club. It’s too bad, but it’s the way it is.
I/WE call this a lifestyle, because that’s what it is. In order to be healthy and NOT like the rest of the world (On drugs, getting fat and sick, diseased, feel like shit) you need to CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE OR BETTER YET – CHANGE YOUR LIFE!
After 10 years of developing this lifestyle for myself I will give you the nuts and bolts of what it takes…
PRINT THIS OUT AND PUT IT ON YOUR FRIDGE..
1. Eat Paleo at least 80/20. Most of us don’t even make a solid effort. We somehow believe that if we workout a little harder it will compensate for the garbage we are eating. Don’t be one of these people. I worked out for years (since 14 – every other day) and never got anywhere until I improved my FUEL source. You don’t have to be perfect, but you have to at least TRY!
7. The ‘NATURE’ factor. I am a big fan of ‘nature walking’, getting in the bush, sitting on a dock, etc.. We are animals of the earth and we need to re connect with our mother earth. It may sound weird to some of you to read this but guess what?? YOU ARE THE WEIRD ONE FOR NOT NOTICING THE POWER OF NATURE. It will literally re-balance you, cleanse you, and give you clarity. My ‘SOUL WORK’ has always happened in two places: The outdoors and the gym.
2. Work out 4 times a week. Science suggests that working out 4 times a week yields 40% more gains than 3 times a week (Poliquin). 4 hours a week!! Even if you can’t make it in – You can walk, play hard with the kids, etc.. YOU need to make time for you. The people around you who love you will understand. If not – they are the selfish ones and you need to be strong about YOUR priority.
3. Sleeping. Take naps. Sleep in. Get more of it when you can. If it’s a priority make it happen. Shut the computer off, turn the TV off – ETC..
4. Weightlifting with the mindset: ‘I want to be able to move well when I’m 75′ will always keep you focused on what truly matters.. Six packs are great, but a great back squat tells me you have the mobility of a 12 year old. Moving well with good posture is always number one.
5. Weightlifting should take up 80-90% of your workouts. I don’t care if you ‘LOVE’ running. or ‘LOVE’ crazy CrossFit style workouts. Science, observation, and results dictate that well coached weightlifting is the ‘REAL DEAL’… Just look around at some of the physiques at the gym. CONNECT THE DOTS.
6. Negative people and situations. Pay attention to the ‘haters’, the ‘nay sayers’, and all the people and situations that make us feel ‘OFF’. Life is energy and anyone who feels they can just SUCK my energy needs to go. Negative people that only hear their own story are incredibly selfish. They don’t even hear us speak to them or offer help. They are so CAUGHT up in their own ‘NEGATIVE GARBAGE’ that they literally don’t care about anything else. Be aware of ENERGY, your intuition is a great resource. Re-connect and make decisions based on what makes you happier.
Long story short,
The world is against us but that’s ok. If our LIFESTYLE is in check we will help ourselves and all those around us. That’s what I call POWER. That’s what motivates me EVERY DAY. WE. I, YOU are the only ones who can make us happy. No one else will EVER do it. YOU HAVE THE POWER. Make a plan, find your weaknesses, and have a ton of fun working on yourself. Life is growth, there is NO end point. Be in love with growth and positive change and don’t get caught up in the details. Get caught up in the BIG PICTURE…
Visit Caveman Strong.