Oh Monday mornings, how I loathe you at times. Snooze…roll over and repeat (several times). What is wrong with me and not wanted to get out of my cozy wozy little bed lately??? Perhaps the changing of the seasons. Pre-hibernation mode. It is bad news bears! Haha! So dark and brrrrrr chilly to the bone out there today. I may have to just whip out the ol’ Canadian Goose soon Recently, my schedule has been switched around a little and I have been enjoying working out in the evenings, rather than my usual 6 am stint. I dearly miss so many of my 6 am pals, but I have to say I am lovin’ the training time change more than I ever thought I would. A major bonus to this is that I actually do feel WAY more awake and alert in the afternoons. On the other hand, this does mean less time for dinner prep and cooking in the evenings. To help with this change, I have been making “big batch meals” in a one shot go and then have been savouring them for dins as yummy leftovers during the days and nights that follow. This has been working extremely well. Just this past week I made another version of my previous “trifecta of meat chili” (second time around was even tastier) and a beef stew. Amen to wicked comfort foods that are actually real and good for you!!!
Tonight, as some of the regular 5:30 cf’ers and I freestyled our buttocks with lacrosse balls and rolled our tight bits in our usual circle after the wod. When doing so, the topic of “what’s for dins?” came up. Jenny was enjoying her yummy pecan Larabar and Andrew was happy with his 18th egg of the day haha, to help tied them over until they were able to go home and chef something fab up. Warren expressed that he was hoping he would arrive at his place, to be greeted with his very own personal chef. Stew looked like he was crossing his fingers and hoping for a sweet homemade meal to be waiting for him upon his arrival back home. Hmmmm, I thought…it was already almost 7 pm by the time we finished our mobility stuff! I originally planned on making another batch of Paleo chili, but then remembered that I had butternut squash in the fridge that I needed to use up.
So with that…a make-shift “breakfast for dinner-ish” meal was born…with a warm side of roasted butternut squash to boot. I basically just cooked up some scrambled eggs with onion and spinach in them, along with a side of rowe farms sausage…and another side, which was the squash. All of these flavours together were simply scrumptious. So easy, you can’t not make it! Not even kidding…I did not speak a word until it was all done. After that I fully wanted to lick the plate clean! I resisted.
Here it is…
- 1 butternut squash (halved...I bought mine from the market already cut into 2)
- coconut oil to cover
- dash of cinnamon (optional)
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- cut butternut squash into 2 equal halves
- take a baking sheet or casserole dish and grease with thin layer coconut oil (I used a silicone brush here)
- then coat each exposed side of the squash with more coconut oil
- turn over and place face down on baking sheet, so that they skin side is facing up
- preheat oven to 325 degrees and when ready cook for approximately 45 minutes (this may vary)
- you may have to test to see if it is done by "sticking a fork it it!"
- let stand for 10-15 minutes before serving
- sprinkle with some cinnamon, fresh ground pepper and sea salt to taste
- you can enjoy this as a side by either scooping all the contents out and eating it right out of the skin.
- OH ya…by the way, if you haven’t yet checked out Kelly Starrett’s MobilityWod Blog do it now HERE!!! kstar is the man!