Fresh. Sweet. Crunchy. Summery. Fully loaded with flavour. There are many words to describe this little number that I could go on forever. It turned out so amazing, because it has several wonderful ingredients that compliment one another so nicely.
The inspiration for this recipe really came from the simple fact that every time I walk into our local veggie/fruit market, the pile of ripe mangoes are right in the doorway, staring directly at me, totally screamin’ pick me. It’s really funny, because I think each time I stroll through that doorway, I actually do stop…give one of ‘em a squeeze, but end up setting them back down and continue on my merry way into the shop. Reason being…I LOVE mango…but to be honest I don’t eat loads of fruit, so this salsa is a real treat.
So good in fact, that you can eat it on it’s own. That’s what ‘the duster’ did! It could also serve well as a yummy condiment to pretty much anything. We are absolute guacamole fans, so we plop that on just about everything we make on a daily basis. The beauty of this salsa is that it offers a nice change from our usual. A perfect match for grilled fish, pork or on eggs (like I had this morning)! Why not even throw some on top of a bed of greens and grilled chicken and call it a day?!? The options here are really endless. Do you have a bbq to attend this weekend? Are you hosting Father’s day brunch? Family gathering? Regardless…give it a go!!!
P.S. The strawberries were a last minute addition to this recipe, but I just couldn’t resist because they are local now (Ontario grown) and super scrumptious.
Makes a large serving.
|mango.berry & avocado.cuc salsa||
- 2-3 ripe mangoes – cubed
- 1/2 pint of fresh strawberries – cubed
- 4 mini cucumbers – cubed
- 3-4 ripe avocados – cubed
- 1/3 large red onion – finely diced
- 1 orange pepper – cubed
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 lemon – juice freshly squeezed (can add in some zest if you wish as well)
- 1 lime – juice freshly squeezed
- 1 small navel orange – juice freshly squeezed (optional)
- lots of fresh cilantro – chopped
- sea salt and ground pepper – to taste
- fresh ginger – grated (optional)
- splash of olive oil
- take all ingredients from the list that need cubed and chop them into fairly small bits.
- put them in a medium sized bowl and mix together.
- next, add in the garlic, grated ginger, freshly squeezed lemon/lime and orange juice and a splash of olive oil.
- lastly, add in lots of freshly chopped cilantro and sprinkle with sea salt and ground pepper.
- stir all ingredients together and allow to cool in fridge before serving.
• I made this salsa yesterday…and then let the flavours meld together in the fridge overnight! It is even tastier the next day!!!