Rewind to a few days ago…my husband and I were walking along the beach discussing what was on the menu for dins. I was saying that I was totally in the mood for chicken wings. Feeling adventurous, we decided to make our own. They turned out fab (we made 2 different types), but that recipe will be featured in another blog post later this week.
Anyhoo…we also knew we wanted something ‘bacon-wrapped’ to be partnered along side it. My initial thinking was to do some bacon wrapped asparagus in the oven. Then we conquered…meh…a solid choice, but we really wanted to kick it up a notch. I wanted to try making something new. Creating a dish which was a better pairing for the wings was definitely in order. And besides, who doesn’t love the classic good ‘ol bacon n’ sweet potato combo?!? I DO…I DO!!!
Disclaimer: Not gonna lie…as we continued strolling on our merry walk…there was perhaps a mini-domestic, ummm, I mean a friendly discussion on how to tackle these babies!? LOL! The Duster was somewhat skeptical to say the least! Should we pre-cook the bacon a little bit first? Hmmm…or should we wrap ’em up and cook it all at once? Will the bacon make them super soggy? Geezzzzz, or do you think that they turn out crispy-ish? In the end, we just decided to go the most simple route and chop up the sweet potato into chunky-sized wedges, wrap them with wild boar bacon, sprinkle with some Cajun spice…and basically hope for the best! To our surprise and content (bellies were growling at this point)…our fingers crossed method totally worked! They actually turned out INCREDIBLE!!!
Since I posted a photo on Facebook…3 friends have made them, and have been more than happy with the way that they have turned out! Oh ya…BTW – you don’t need to use wild boar bacon (that’s just what we had on hand). Go with your favourite variety. However, I would stress good quality bacon is a better choice! This lil’ number is fully excellent right out of the oven, but equally as wonderful at room temperature to serve as a fantastic appetizer at a party or wee shindig!
P.S – Later that Saturday evening we met up with a good friend of ours, and brought him all the leftovers. Let’s just say…he gobbled them up like nobody’s business. No talking at all, and perhaps not even coming up for air, as they were demolished! In the end…super easy and one of my fav’s to date!!! Try ’em…(but beware…highly addictive!) 😉
* quantity of ingredients depends of size of desired batch
- good quality bacon - we used wild boar (pretty thick)
- sweet potatoes - peeled and chopped (fairly chunky - into wedges)
- a dash or two of Cajun spice
- some sea salt
- start by peeling and chopping the sweet potatoes into wedges (chunky style) and place in a bowl
- sprinkle with Cajun spice and mix thoroughly
- then take the sweet potato wedges and wrap them with slices of bacon (if bacon is too wide, you can slice length-wise...it really depends on the cut!)
- line a baking sheet with some tin foil and then arrange bacon-wrapped wedges evenly on the pan
- preheat oven to approx. 325-350 degrees and cook until bacon becomes crispy (40-ish minutes depending on oven)
- if you wish to make them 'extra-crispy'...turn the oven to broil for the remaining 5-10 minutes
- plate and sprinkle with coarse sea salt (we used lemon & thyme - yummy!)
- for extra enjoyment...we dipped them in some delicious spicy guacamole