When talking about meatloaf…I think there are two distinct camps. You either loved it or you hated it growing up as a kid! I am most def a huge fan. I remember that smell so clealy as a walked in the door from figure skating. Ohhhhh…that is such an unforgettable aroma. Toally warm and comforting, as I remember. During my childhood, I LOVED it when my my mom would make this comforting dish. I never got tired of it…and looked forward to our weekly dinner of meatloaf with a sidekick of baked potato. Her version was simple, yet amazing. I have tried to re-create her recipe many times, but could never do it justice. What an incredible cook she was…rest her soul.
Up until last year, I had not had ‘homemade’ meatloaf in several YEARS, until I discovered it at Rowe Farms. I think we basically bought one of their store-made babies almost every week this past fall/winter. Sadly, I was in there a couple weeks ago and ‘the dude’ told me they are no longer carrying them! WHHHHATTTT!?! So…with inspiration from their version, along with my mom’s…I decided to ‘wing it’ and make my own, with ‘the flair of Cyn’. Of course I had to add some bacon in there for some extra flav!!! Kicking it up with some spice was my modus operandi…and topping it with my love of avocado was a purposeful touch.
WARNING…HIGHLY ADDICTIVE! I CUT MYSELF OFF after 13 meat ‘cupcakes’…well maybe not that many, but you get my point. Hope you love them!!
PS – I have used the same mixture for the meat ‘cupcakes’ and the ‘loaf’ alike. Both turned out wicked. A full-on meal or some scrumptious little appetizers…whatever your heart desires!
|spicy meat ‘cupcakes’ & ‘loaf’|
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 lb of ground pork
- 6 slices of bacon – cut into small pieces
- 1 large carrot – shredded
- 1 beet – shredded
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- .5 package of mushrooms – diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper – finely diced (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp ‘grainy’ mustard
- 4 cloves of garlic – crushed or finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp dried mixed herbs (Italian)
- 1 tbsp of cayenne pepper (optional )
- a few dashes of sea salt and ground pepper
- toppings – guacamole (can spoon on or use a corner-cut ziplock to ‘ice’ them.
- hot sauce (optional)
- in a large bowl, combine ground pork, beef and bacon
- add in all veggies to the mix
- crack and whisk eggs in a separate bowl and add into the large bowl
- next, add in all the herbs and spices
- using your hands (get in there), thoroughly fold all the ingredients together
- take picture and press firmly into a greased ‘loaf pan’ or ‘muffin cups’
- preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for approx 45 minutes (this is the time for the loaf, meat cupcakes bake quicker
- finally, broil for 5-10 minutes (watching carefully)
- remove from oven and let cool a little
- plate and serve with a dollop or two…or three of guac and hot sauce (optional)
• if you aren’t a fan of super spicy dishes, omit the jalapeno and ground cayenne pepper.
• btw – aren’t those wee meat ‘cupcakes too adorable to resist?!? Try them at your next dinner party…