chocolate and coconut covered bacon

Oh soooo good!   ”Chocolate and coconut covered bacon?”, you may ask. Yep you got it!  It may seem bizarre at first, but it is actually a really amazing combo!  If you are a fan of  ‘sweet and salty’, then this dessert is a must try for you.  In the past couple weeks I have tried two different versions of this recipe, one topped with shredded coconut and the other with crushed macadamia nuts, while both drizzled with coconut butter.  Super easy peasy to make and will be a guaranteed hit at your upcoming holiday parties.  A rich treat that is immensely satisfying.  Go ahead…choc it up!

chocolate and coconut covered bacon
Recipe type: appetizer, dessert
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1 pound of good quality bacon
  • 2 Organic Dark Chocolate bars ~ *ISH
  • handful of unsweetened shredded coconut or crushed raw macadamia nuts (I have tried both)
  • a few tbsp of coconut butter
Instructions
  1. cook bacon in frying pan on medium to high heat, until crispy (I had to do this in a couple batches)
  2. remove from heat and plate to cool for a few minutes
  3. in the meantime, melt dark chocolate in a double boiler (avoid burning the chocolate) – stirring frequently
  4. when completely melted, take a pair of thongs and fully immerse the slice of bacon in the chocolate sauce
  5. when coated, place on a baking pan lined with parchment paper
  6. sprinkle with shredded coconut and place in the fridge to cool for 10-15 minutes
  7. while it is solidifying in the fridge, melt some coconut butter (manna), by placing the jar in boiling water
  8. once melted, take a few tbsp and spoon it into a Ziploc bag
  9. take the chocolate covered bacon out of the fridge, snip a tiny hole in the corner of the Ziploc bag and drizzle lightly with coconut butter
  10. place back into the fridge and let cool once again (doesn’t take long to solidify)
  11. when ready remove bacon strips from parchment paper and plate
  12. enjoy!
Google Recipe View Microformatting by Easy Recipe
  • There was a little bit of dark chocolate left over, so I decided to take a pint of fresh blueberries and toss them in the pot.  From there, I stirred them around, making sure they were all covered with the sauce and then placed them on some parchment paper.  I followed the same process by sprinkling and drizzling them with the shredded coconut and the butter.  Threw them in the freezer to harden…and voila…another simple, yet fabulous dessert!

About Cindy
Living life and eating paleo styles. Thrive on helping people become more healthy and in tune with their body. Enjoy creating recipes that are made with LOVE.

Comments

1. moose droppings says:

you had me at bacon… but g-dd-m… chocolate and coconut covered… pure paleo nectar!

2. Jen says:

LOL, cracking up!

“when completely melted, take a pair of THONGS and fully immerse the slice of bacon in the chocolate sauce”

thongs and chocolate always signal the start of a good night at my house ;-)

• Cindy Sexton says:

Bahahaha! OMG…that is too funny…opps. That does sound like the beginning of something to remember! I should totally leave it…hehe ;)

3. Kaylee says:

Cindy…! OMG this is such a good idea. I’ve have chocobacon before but this puts the cherry on top and will be my go to recipe when i need chocolate on my bacon!!

4. Nicki says:

This.Sounds.Amazing! Can’t wait to try it!

5. Keet says:

No way. You just seriously combined like my 3 favorite foods. Wow. I have all those right this second except for the coconut butter part…d’you think it’d work without that step?

• Cindy Sexton says:

LOL! Yes…you would totally be good to go without that step. I just used it as an extra to drizzle over top! Enjoy!!! Let me know how it turns out! =)

6. Squatchy says:

This is one of the best things I’ve ever put in my mouth. I would request this as part of my last meal.

• Cindy Sexton says:

hahaha! love it!! thank you for reminding me that i need to make this bad boy again. i agree – full on last meal worthy…glad you enjoyed! :)

7. Kim says:

Awesome!!! Didn’t have coconut butter, but will try with it next time. One issue I found is that after you melt chocolate bars, they tend to melt very quickly at the touch. Next time I’m going to sprinkle a layer of coconut on the parchment first, then lay the chocolate dipped bacon on top. Add another sprinkle of coconut. This should provide the fingers to hold on without getting overly chocolatey.

8. Jamye Whitehorn says:

I am making this tomorrow for my daughter who is in need of some chocolate…I may have some too…I may make some with coconut and some with macadamia nuts,…. ;)